This course provides classroom instruction with a focus on the skills, responsible attitudes, and behaviors needed to become a safe driver. This course is dedicated to the concept of helping young drivers save lives – their lives as well as the lives of others. While taking the course, students will also learn about the basic traffic laws and rules of the road that apply to common everyday driving situations.
Credits: 0.5 (per semester)
Estimated Completion Time: 1 semester/9-18 weeks
* Scores are based on 281 student ratings out of 5.
“Driver Education is very important and everyone should take this class to be better prepared for driving on the road.”
“I enjoyed being able to see content that made me aware of what is going on in the world.”Student Survey Responses
Unit 1: Driver Guide Chapter 1 & 2
- The Missouri Driver License and Graduated Driver License Law
- The Driver Exam
Unit 2: Driver Guide Chapter 3 & 4
- Pavement Marking, Traffic Signs, and Signals
- Rules of the Road
Unit 3: Driver Guide Chapter 5, 6, & 7
- Highway Driving
- Sharing the Road
Unit 4: Driver Guide Chapter 8 & 9
- Safe Driving Tips for Everyday Driving
- Safe Driving for Special Driving Conditions
Unit 5: Driver Guide Chapter 10 & 11
- Be in Shape to Drive
- The Point System and How it Affects You
Unit 6: Driver Guide Chapter 12, 13, & 14
- Vehicle Titling and Registration
- Mandatory Insurance
- Safety and Emissions Inspections and Required Equipment
MAJOR INSTRUCTIONAL GOALS:
The student will learn:
- Study and discuss the Missouri Driver’s Guide
- Observe videos demonstrating the proper skills and techniques of the driving task.
- Discuss significant emotions, attitudes and physical conditions that affect driving.
- Study and discuss the natural forces, weather and environment conditions that affect driving.
- Alcohol, drugs, texting and accident rates that impact young drivers in society.
- Purchasing, insuring and the cost of operating a vehicle.