In Spanish I the student begins to understand, speak, read, and write Spanish. Conversational skills using the present tense and practical vocabulary are emphasized. Students also begin to study the culture of Spanish-speaking peoples.
Credits: 1.0 (0.5 per semester)
Estimated Completion Time: 2 semesters/18-36 weeks
* Scores are based on 62 student ratings out of 5.
“This course was fun and informative.”
“It was helpful to have the online conferences with the teacher.”Student Survey Responses
Semester 1 – Unit 1: Goal 1
- 1.1 L2 Understand some ideas on familiar topics containing phrases, simple sentences, and frequently used expressions and comprehend the main point in short conversations, messages, and announcements.
- 1.2 L2 Provide basic information on familiar topics using phrases and simple sentences.
- 1.3 L2 Exchange information about familiar tasks, topics, and activities, handle short social interactions using phrases and simple sentences, and sustain conversations with assistance and/or visual support.
- 1.4 L2 Understand some ideas in simple texts which contain familiar vocabulary.
- 1.5 L2 Write descriptions and short messages to request or provide information on familiar topics using phrases and simple sentences.
Semester 1 – Unit 2: Goal 2
- 2.1 L2 Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the Spanish speaking culture.
- 2.1 L2 Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the products and perspectives of the culture of Spanish-speaking countries.
Semester 2 – Unit 3: Goal 3
- 3.1 L2 Reinforce and further knowledge of other disciplines through Spanish.
- 3.2 L2 Acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through Spanish and its culture.
Semester 2 – Unit 4: Goal 4
- 4.1 L2 Demonstrate understanding of the nature of language through comparisons between Spanish and English.
- 4.2 L2 Demonstrate understanding of the concept of culture through comparisons of the Hispanic culture and their own.