Unit 1 – STORIES & HISTORY
Even if you aren’t an artist, you can still enjoy and have an opinion on art.
This unit will introduce students to:
- The process of looking at a work of art.
- The process of responding critically to a work of art.
Throughout this course, you will be required to write blog posts on art critiques. This unit will introduce you to this assignment.
Unit 2 – SACRED REALM
This unit will introduce students to cultural expressions of spirituality through time. Students will learn about:
- Spiritual expression
- Rites of passages across cultures
- Religious art
- Faith, fashion, and symbolism
Unit 3 – ART AND NATURE
This unit introduces students to how our experience with nature is expressed through time. Students will learn about:
- The philosophies of art.
- Environmentalist art.
- Pre-Raphaelite art.
Unit 4 – HUMAN EXPERIENCE
This unit introduces students to how human experiences are expressed using art throughout time. Students will learn how to:
- Read the human experience in a work of art.
- Expand your understanding of the human experience as it relates to art.
- Understand how color is used in art to enhance your visual experience.
Unit 5 – POLITICS & SOCIAL ORDER
This unit introduces students to art as an expression of political and social ideas as they have been presented through time. Students will learn about:
- Political art
- Art as social criticism
Unit 6 – INVENTION & FANTASY
This unit introduces students to ideas related to invention and fantasy as these ideas are expressed throughout time. Students will learn about:
- Fantasy and Surrealism in art
- Current trends and innovation in art
- Art as a playful interface
- Street artv